“Pioneers in the field…. Leading the way with Paranormal Research in New Zealand” – Connor Biddle, Paranormal Encounters.
“I have much respect for the level of study Mark and his team have put into the paranormal phenomenon through the years. His work is interesting and very well researched.” – Murray Bott, U.F.O Researcher & NZ’s MUFON representative.
Paranormal New Zealand is the home of Haunted Auckland, a Paranormal Investigation and Research group.
Whether you’ve been following us since 2010, or just recently discovering us; WELCOME and thanks for joining in the fun, learning and adventures.
We are a dedicated group of paranormal enthusiasts, all having one thing in common – a passion and drive to find out as much as humanly possible about the mysterious and unknown field that is the Paranormal, as well as documenting New Zealand’s historical buildings and landmarks in their current state.
Paranormal (păr′ə-nôr′məl) adjective.
Paranormal events are purported phenomena described in popular culture, folk, and other non-scientific bodies of knowledge, whose existence within these contexts is described as beyond normal experience or scientific explanation. The term “paranormal” has existed in the English language since at least 1920. The word consists of two parts: “para” and “normal”. The definition implies that the scientific explanation of the world around us is “normal” and anything that is above, beyond, or contrary to that is “para”.
We’re always learning new things, so hope to pass that knowledge on to you all so that you might learn as we do, in this crazy but fascinating world of the paranormal.
Firstly a few things you should know about Haunted Auckland. We’re a small Auckland based team of friendly, well seasoned and enthusiastic researchers with differing levels of experience, knowledge, skills and expertise. Our investigators are intelligent, honest, compassionate and possess critically thinking (yet wide open) minds. We’re also very good listeners.
What we aren’t: We aren’t Ghost Busters, Ghost Hunters, Exorcists, Mediums, Clairvoyants or Psychics and we don’t do clearings, blessings or the ridding homes of alleged demons. We don’t do prayers, rituals, or bring in any religious elements to our work. We aren’t mental health experts or sleep disorder professionals.
We aren’t “Believers”. We also aren’t blinkered, close-minded and staunch sceptics.
While we are sceptical and doubtful of certain cases and ideas, we have seen and experienced enough in our time to realise that dedication to the research is definitely a worthwhile cause. Instead of blindly believing (or disbelieving), or just accepting what we are told is true and real, we prefer to seek out the answers ourselves through first-hand, “boots on the ground” investigation. Experimentation, observation and documentation. We don’t have all the answers and we don’t consider ourselves experts. We don’t make claims we can’t back up with evidence or reliable data.
We don’t charge anything for what we do. The opportunity to investigate a location and hopefully further our research is its own great reward.
What we are, is “real world” researchers. Learning by doing. Walking the talk. Substance over fluff.
We follow the Scientific Method as closely as we are able to; though it’s not always easy to create a fully controlled environment and the fact that true paranormal activity is sporadic and very rare means we don’t always have a lot to go on. Still, we do our best with what we have to work with at the time and go wherever it takes us.
We go to where the stories are coming from in order to see for ourselves. We talk to the people involved to get their sides to the occurrences.
Our conclusions are never really final and we find multiple return visits yield the best results; so have built up trusting relationships with quite a few locations within the historical communities in this country. Our clean and respected reputation within historical circles is something the team prides itself on, as it has grown over the last decade and is based on well over 200 investigation sessions within that time.
Please check out our website and don’t hesitate to make contact if you have any queries or would like to know more about what we do. We’re always happy to talk about spooks!
Through the years the team have investigated:
- Auckland Civic Theatre
- North Head
- The Auckland Town Hall
- St James theatre
- Victoria Theatre
- The Howick Historical Village
- The Smith & Caugheys building
- Kinder House
- Lopdell House
- The Pumphouse Theatre
- The Bluestone Room
- Fort Takapuna
- Massey Homestead
- The Hard To Find Bookshop
- Hollywood Cinema
- Avondale Town Hall
- Alberton House
- Bell House
- Carrington (Unitec)
- The Queens Ferry Tavern
- Regent Theatre
- Ewelme Cottage in Parnell
- Laishly House and Blockhouse in Onehunga
- Puhoi Centennial Hall
- Kingseat Hospital
- Puhinui Homestead
- AUSA Building
- Helensville Museum
- Waiuku Museum
- Lake House Art Centre
- Molloy’s Antique Centre
- Whatipu Caves
- Gibbons Homestead
- Inverlochy House
- Waipukurau Hospital
- Tavistock Hotel
- The Masonic Hotel Napier
- Napier Prison
- Mokena Hotel
- Palace Hotel
- Grand Tavern – Te Aroha
- The Waitomo Caves Hotel
- Vulcan Hotel (St Bathans)
- Larnach Castle
… as well as many private home visits around Auckland and surrounding towns and extensive investigation internationally.
Some of the services and experience we have on offer:
Research and Investigation of buildings, historical locations and businesses
Photo & video analysis
General paranormal consultation
Conferences / Public speaking
Educational talks & fundraising for historical locations
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople – Houses29/07/2018Abandoned Buildings / Locations of InterestHunt for the Wilderpeople is a 2016 New Zealand made film written and directed by Taika Waititi, whose screenplay was based on the book Wild Pork and Watercress by Barry Crump. Sam Neill and Julian Dennison play “Uncle” Hector and Ricky Baker, a father figure and son who become the targets of a manhunt after fleeing into the New Zealand bush. Moody problem child from the city, Ricky Baker is sent to live in the remote NZ bush with new foster parents Bella and Hector, two reclusive country folk. When Child Services try to take him back, Ricky refuses, sparking a national manhunt. The unfortunate death of Bella means the inexperienced and intolerant Hector now has to look after Ricky by himself, with great difficulty. Bella’s passing and Hectors inability to be a successful role model, causes Child Services to decide to send Ricky back to the orphanage. Ricky refuses to go and heads into the deep bush; sparking a national manhunt for him and Hector. The film was shot over 5 weeks, in locations including the Central Plateau and the Waitakere Ranges. Almost the entire film was shot using a single camera. Two of the locations I visited were the house that was used as Uncle Hectors rural abode and secondly a run down (but recently renovated) Freemans Bay 1880s Victorian mansion. The house featured as the eventual boarding home Uncle Hec, stayed at towards the end of the film. Hector & Bella’s country home Hector’s eventual home at end of film... Read more...
- Alien Big Cats in New Zealand10/04/2011Kiwi CryptidsFound this interesting article over on http://naturalplane.blogspot.com . Alien Big Cat (ABCs) are alive and well in New Zealand and the sightings of them are becoming many and frequent. Now, before you really think I’m crazy (more than usual anyway), let me educate you as to what Alien Big Cats are. Alien Big Cats (ABCs, Phantom Cats, Mystery Cats) don’t have anything to do with UFOs (usually anyway). The word ‘alien’ in this context simply means ‘out of place’. ABCs are not creatures unknown to science but are well-known cats which are sighted in unexpected places. Their location creates the mystery, rather than their existence. My ‘need-to-know-bordering-on-obsession’ tendency was aroused yesterday when I read an article about an ABC sighting in our local newspaper… 18-year-old student Carl Swanson is adamant he saw a large lion recently near a quarry in Kaiwaka (Northland, NZ). He is keen to revisit the site but will not do so unless he has a gun. The reporter who wrote the story happens to be my neighbour (no kidding). I spoke with him last night, and he believes Swanson’s story is absolutely genuine. The documented eye-witness reports of ABCs in New Zealand are too numerous to be ignored. All evidence points to the fact that there really are mysterious big-cat specimens roaming the bush and countryside. “How did they get here?”, any sane person will ask. The most probable answer is the accidental release/escape into the wild from zoos, wild-life parks etc. Interestingly enough, Zion Wildlife Gardens is situated just 60km north of where the lion was seen. So, if you ever happen to see a mysterious cat-like creature roaming the New Zealand countryside, think twice before you choose not to believe your eyes, keep a camera ready, and maybe, as Carl Swanson suggests, a gun. Some documented ABC sightings in New Zealand (For extensive information on ABC’s in NZ please visit: Mysterious New Zealand 2008: Lion, Kaiwaka Quarry, South of Whangarei, Northland * 04/08/06: Big Black Cat, Haketere (north side of the Ashburton River Mouth) * 03/05/05: Big Black Cat, Mid Canterbury * 11/10/03: Black Panther, PPCS meatworks in Fairton, 8 km north of Ashburton * 03/10/03: Black Panther Mayfield, 35 kilometres west of Ashburton * 2002: Big Black Puma-like Cat sighted at night in Omaui, south of Invercargill * 2001: Black Panther, Farm at Winterslow, Alford Forest * 1999: Black Panther, Banks Peninsula * 13/12/99: Mountain Lion, Moeraki (or Lake Moeraki) * 16/07/99: Black Panther, Lindis Pass * 08/98: Mountain Lion, Dunstan Ranges, near Cromwell * 1996: Black Panther, Twizel * 1996: Big Black Puma-like Cat sighted at night in Omaui, south of Invercargill... Read more...
- Gun Emplacements and Look-Out – Bastion Point, Auckland09/04/2017Abandoned Buildings / Locations of InterestThis military outpost was built by the New Zealand Government in 1885 because of its strategic position overlooking the Waitemata Harbour. In response to the “Russian-scare” of 1973 whereby a Russian warship allegedly captured a British ship in the Auckland Harbour, a series coastal defenses were set up in 1885, including those at North Head and Fort Takapuna. The construction began on gun emplacements at Bastion Point, with the intent to arm it with two BL 6-inch disappearing guns weighing 5 tons apiece and capable of launching 100 point shells. Unlike other forts around the Waitemata Harbour, Bastion Point was never fully completed and many of the fortifications were buried during the 1940’s when the Michael Joseph Savage memorial was built. Historically the site of a Ngāti Whātua marae, the land was embroiled in controversy during the late 1970’s as plans were made to sell the land off for housing instead of the original intent of returning the land to its traditional Māori owners after it was no longer of military use. ... Read more...
- Private Home, Pukekohe18/01/2013Private ResidencesThe team was called in urgently to look into the strange occurrences regularly going on in this unassuming suburban household that were terrifying the children and disrupting family life. Background The investigation was arranged with just 24 hours notice, after an urgent contact by the family. We received a message via our Facebook page from a couple living in a house which seemed to be experiencing quite a lot of alarming and potentially paranormal activity. The family was too frightened to sleep upstairs in their rooms and had spent the previous few nights camped out downstairs. They were getting desperate due to lack of sleep. The investigation was conducted by Mark and Karen. The house, a two storey, brick property, and the two, identical properties next to it are only around 5 – 8 years old according to the tenants. The entire neighbourhood seems to have a somewhat dark and mysterious history. Houses surrounding the investigation home have seen full fire destruction and rebuild, a suicide and a fatal shooting incident. Reported Activity On a few occasions the couple has heard what sounded like children running around upstairs at night. At those times, the kids were not upstairs. No one was up there at all. The women reported that many of the occupants have been woken by heavy footsteps, sounding very much like heavy work boots stomping around in the night, coming from upstairs. The children were so disturbed by these noises that they were now choosing to sleep downstairs. There have been numerous bangs and crashed coming from upstairs, yet, on inspection, nothing has been moved or disturbed. One night, one of the children, mentioned to the parents that someone had loudly whispered ‘Hey!’ into his ear. No one was with him. A negative presence sensed in the walk-in wardrobe by the owner who is now too scared to enter the closet. Growls have been heard in upstairs room and in closet. The light inside the wardrobe has also been seen to turn itself on. We were told that the downstairs bathroom fan also has a habit of turning itself on. The switch was in view of the couples bedroom, and they could hear the sound of the switch clicking on (and the fan starting) but could also see that there was no one standing there to actually switch it on. A small vase of artificial flowers in the master bedroom had been seen to move by themselves, with no apparent cause. We were told that the windows were closed and that no one had walked past them. The family now refuse to sleep upstairs at night due to all the activity. Investigation Weather conditions on the night – It was warm, dry and sunny when we arrived, giving way to a fine and clear evening. Luna cycle – Waxing moon, in Aries. One day before First Quarter. First impressions on entering the house Karen – “The house was very modern and clearly well looked-after by the tenants. It was spacious, clean and airy, with nice furnishings and didn’t look like your stereotypical ‘haunted house’. Mark – “I too was surprised. I was expecting an older home. In fact the entire neighbourhood was relatively fresh considering how old Pukekohe itself is.” Initially, we stood in the living room area of the house, talking with the couple about their experiences in the house. They emphasised that most of the noises etc had come from upstairs, and that the situation had become so bad that everyone was sleeping downstairs, with the exception of the women’s cousin. Karen – “I felt perfectly comfortable and relaxed downstairs, talking with the couple.” The couple had converted the garage to create a double bedroom for themselves. Downstairs, there was a bedroom with bunk beds (shared by two boys), a bathroom, the living room and kitchen, and a small hallway, with stairs leading to the first floor. Upstairs was a landing, leading to a double bedroom with a walk-in wardrobe (used by the women’s cousin), bathroom, airing cupboard (with loft access), single bedroom (used by the women’s son), and another single bedroom, used by her daughter. We were interested to see that similar noises and phenomenon were being experienced by the neighbour, two doors down. We spoke to the neighbour during the course of the evening and confirmed this with him. Karen – “I would have to agree with the tenants assertions that activity was focused upstairs. Upon entering the double bedroom upstairs, my attention was immediately drawn to the walk-in wardrobe, which is an area which specifically creeps people out. I didn’t feel uncomfortable upstairs whilst I was with the group, but I would definitely say that there was an unusual energy or presence about the walk-in wardrobe, which felt rather different from the rest of the house.” We had been told that the daughter has felt particularly uncomfortable sleeping in her room. Upon investigation we discovered that there was a region of very high EMF behind her bed, at the pillow end, which was likely caused by one or many electrical wires running inside the wall, exactly at the height of her pillow. Exposure to high EMF has been shown to cause feelings of unease, sensations of being watched etc. Whilst this cannot fully explain the phenomena experienced by the rest of the family, it is possible that the daughter’s situation was being made worse by the EMF. Having monitored the readings around the rest of the room, we made a suggestion as to where the bed could be safely relocated within the room, to avoid sleeping next to an area of high EMF which would hopefully help to alleviate some of these problems. We tried to debunk the moving flowers incident with no success. They consisted of plastic flowers on long wire stems. Tests done by us at the time showed that the flowers were actually quite difficult to move in the manner described by the homeowners, and we were unable to recreate the effect ourselves. Whilst up in the ceiling space, Mark used an I.R Night Shot video camera to film the interior in hope of finding evidence of rats, birds or an opossum, to explain away the bangs and crashes at night. The interior of the roof cavity however was very new looking, very clean and undisturbed. No droppings or signs of animals living up in there were found. A full photographic sweep of the entire home, inside and out was conducted. Audio recorders placed in three rooms and relocated half way through the session. Thermometer readings taken in all rooms top to bottom. All stayed a constant 17 – 18 degrees throughout the night. EMF readings taken in all rooms on both levels and up in the attic / ceiling space. Nothing unusual until we ‘spiked’ as it hit the girls bedroom wall where her pillow is. It was assumed there was power cabling behind the wall giving off the unusually high reading. Static IR video cameras placed in walk in wardrobe (with audio recorder) and in two other rooms. After we had covered as many areas as we could in our time there, Karen carried out a full cleansing and blessing ceremony. Cleansing Ritual Karen – “The cleansing was very interesting. This house was unusual for me, in that it’s the first house I have performed a cleansing in which I felt almost a sense of what I can only describe as trepidation whilst going upstairs to work on that area. I can’t put my finger on exactly why that was, but put it to the back of my mind and carried on regardless. Having employed my standard format for the ritual cleansing, the woman still wasn’t entirely happy about the walk-in wardrobe and I must confess that I was inclined to agree with her. In order to be completely satisfied that whatever was making the wardrobe and bedroom feel strange had been completely removed, I employed an advanced ceremonial banishing ritual, during which time I asked everyone to remain downstairs. The ritual was performed twice once in the main upstairs bedroom, and once in the adjoining walk-in wardrobe. The woman confirmed that she was comfortable with the atmosphere and energy of these areas following the second cleansing. We understand that since the ritual cleansing was performed, the activity has ceased, and that everyone has returned to sleeping upstairs.” Conclusion After reviewing the many photographs, audio and video footage we found nothing to physically conclude the place to be haunted, but feel the family’s experiences count for something and were more than just imagined incidents or misidentification and natural causes. Karen – “I felt that the investigation went well. The couple was quickly set at ease and were clearly comfortable talking with the team about the various types of activity that had taken place, without fear of ridicule or not being believed. I’m confident that whatever was causing the issues at the property has been removed and that further investigation would not be required. I really enjoyed this investigation. There was definitely something going on here but I wouldn’t like to stick my neck out and call it a ‘haunting’. Whether the activity was down to residual energy, or perhaps even a form of fae, there is no doubt that the phenomena and fear experienced by the family were very real indeed.” It is often hard to pinpoint an exact cause for the activity which is taking place. However, what’s important in this case is that by performing a thorough cleansing, we were able to restore peace to the household and allow the children to sleep upstairs, undisturbed once more. Mark – “It was an interesting one that gave us opportunities to try a few different approaches. The couple was lovely and very open about their experiences which made the session so much easier and relaxed. I also feel we may have helped the woman overcome one of her fears. Whatever she felt was ‘residing’ in her walk in closet is no longer a threat to her. She has gained strength enough now to take back her home so they may live in peace and without fear.” The couple raised the issue of a mysterious church around the corner, which was surrounded by a high fence, but which had no windows or signage outside. Extensive research by our team has uncovered that the building is not being used for any sinister purpose, but is actually a church of the highly secretive Christian evangelical group, the Exclusive Brethren. Haunted Auckland hope that this provides some reassurance as to the nature of the activities which are taking place in this property. We understand that since the investigation and ritual cleansing, the activity has ceased, and that everyone has returned to sleeping upstairs. Significantly, the neighbour from two doors down has also reported that there has been no further activity at his own property. We will stay in communication with the family and re-visit the case if need be. A big thank you to the couple for inviting us into their home and giving us the opportunity to expand on our techniques and research. Testimonial “I want to thank the team from Haunted Auckland. I have been living in a new house for about 8 months now and have been having odd things happen around the house from lights and a bathroom fan ‘switching itself on’ to footsteps like children running and banging upstairs. I found Haunted Auckland online and asked them to come to my house. I felt so at ease when they arrived, they were very light-hearted and created a very calm and happy atmosphere. On arrival i showed them around and we talked about all of the things going on in the house and they set to work with the EMF meters, cameras and other equipment. We were talked through everything that was being done and we were able to ask any questions we had without feeling like we were crazy! At the end of the night a cleansing was done in the house by Karen and i can honestly say it worked. I haven’t heard one bump, footstep, or bang since and have slept soundly every single night without waking at all. I highly recommend Haunted Auckland to anyone that is experiencing unexplained activity in their home.” –Aileen, Pukekohe... Read more...
- The Theory of Telepathic Interaction15/07/2015Investigations“Telepathy – The communication of impressions of any kind from one mind to another, independently of recognised channels of sense” – FWH Myers Whilst researching, investigating and experimenting in the paranormal field, more specifically during communication between sensitive’s and possible spirits, I wanted to discover an easier way to document the communication. I wanted a method that could help me see what was going on during the communication simply, rather than referring to multiple sources in order to understand the short event. Over the years I have tried many things, but whilst reading about Quantum Physics I discovered Feynman’s Diagrams and began to wonder if there could be a way of incorporating a similar approach. Oddly this also identified something else which I had felt was missing or perhaps not quite right, which was the vocabulary. I wanted to change some of the terms in order to move away from assumption and begin to create something more probable. This paper outlines how telepathic interaction during ‘paranormal occurrences’ can now be documented using my ideograms quickly and simply. The diagrams can also in some cases be reduced to define the most probable source of the interaction, thus determining if it is a good example of survival or not. The Theory of Telepathic Interaction: By Ashley Knibb ... Read more...
- Mangawhai – Paranormal overnight Camp-out (3 Teams)14/11/2015Haunted Locations / Investigations / Private ResidencesNovember 14th, 2015. Haunted Auckland headed back to this beautiful, yet allegedly haunted slice of bush land, for a third overnight visit for further exploration. This time, we were joined by members from two other teams; Midnight Paranormal and Whangarei Paranormal Society.... Read more...