Let’s not get in a “Flap” – Our 70’s UFO sightings

These flaps are periods of heightened UFO activity centered on certain areas and lasting over a period of many weeks. Flaps such as the Warminster sightings in the 1960s, to as recently as the Belgium flaps of 2001 and 2002 have all triggered interest in the UFO community.

Kaikoura UFO

The Northern Hemisphere has had a fair share of this type of activity; however, such concentrated UFO activity has also been noted in the Southern Hemisphere. As previously written the airship flaps of the late 19th century also fit into this category.

However, one incident of concentrated sightings stands out in New Zealand’s history of UFO activity.

In the period from the beginning of 1977 to the end of 1978, an insignificant valley near Gisbourne, New Zealand would play host to almost nightly UFO sightings and unusual encounters and events.

Waimata Valley is a rural area, situated near Gisbourne, on the North Islands East Coast. Normally a spot that didn’t attract much attention, it was to become a hotspot for UFO watching, as well as a favorite spot for people wanting to see a UFO. Once regular sightings commenced, teenagers would cruise the area, armed, hoping to take a pot shot at a UFO.

On the night of March 11-12, 1977, an incident occurred which involved two young women, who settled down on a hillside that night, as many were doing in that area, in the hopes of seeing the strange aerial objects that were becoming a nightly phenomena.

The case was investigated by Bryan Dickeson, and after an account of what happened that night emerged, they were encouraged to delve deeper using regressive hypnosis.

Without hypnosis both woman remembered settling on the hillside with their sleeping bags. At about 11 pm they could hear a sound like tin cans buckling, this sound persisted for about half an hour then ceased.

Both eventually became tired and drifted off to sleep.

About 1 am one of the witnesses woke, sensing someone standing over her. In fright she hid her face and reached out to be met with the touch of a cold, metallic feeling boot. Strangely, although frightened by this experience she drifted back to sleep.

It was only under regressive hypnosis that what followed was revealed.

The witness must have slept for about half an hour after the contact with the metallic booted figure when she was awoken by a bright light shining into her eyes, its origin was a disc-like craft with a dome on top that was hovering over some nearby trees.

The object was white, with yellow lights on its underside and on the dome; red lights were also emitted from the object as well. Both women found themselves drawn along a beam of light towards the strange craft.

They both found themselves in a small room lying on horizontal slabs, though the witness cannot recall any physical examination taking place.

Present in the room was a perfectly normal looking humanoid dressed in off white overalls and white boots.

The witness and the humanoid conducted a pleasant conversation telepathically.

The nature of this conversation was not revealed in the hypnosis session as every time the witness was pressed about its content she became markedly agitated.

After the conversation the women were both returned to the hillside they had been taken from and the object left the area at high speed.

The whole experience had lasted about 2 hours.

Subsequently the woman both refused to endure any more regressive hypnosis sessions.

On December 2nd, 1977, a farmer heard his dogs barking and went to investigate, he saw a landed craft and two humanoid figures wearing close fitting silver metallic overalls, they each wore white motorcycle like helmets and had red glowing boots.

Being carried between them was one of the farmer’s dogs. In an attempt to stop them the farmer fired at them and wounded one of the occupants of the craft.

Both dropped the dog and the wounded one sought cover in near by bushes, while its companion fled to the craft which accelerated away at high speed.

No sign was found of the wounded alien.

Rumor has it that a wounded alien tried to stop a motorist a couple of days later. How much validity is in the rumor is unknown, as we all know stories grow from the original accounts.

Further north in Warkworth, activity was also reaching “flap” proportions as sighting after sighting occurred.

Then in December 1978 the now much investigated Kaikoura incident occurred.

What triggers such heightened activity?

We may never know, but to catch such public awareness there must be some validity to the phenomena.

Are there any patterns to these flaps? Not that I’m aware of. But they do happen, and investigators sit and wait with anticipation hoping the next great flap may just be in their area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *