Machattie Park – Screams in the Dark

Machattie Park

When Machattie Park officially opened in 1890, it was celebrated, as it symbolised the closing of one of Bathurst’s more unsightly pieces of history. Still, a part of that dark history remains, as piercing shrieks are heard, ringing out in the night. It seems the past continues to echo, even to this day.

Screams in the Dark

Machattie Park at about the year 1900.
Machattie Park at about the year 1900.
Machattie  Park was opened in December 1890 with much fanfare as well over 2000  people joined in the celebration. Although the park had been a place of  recreation for the two years previous to this grand opening the public  and the city wanted something better. The ‘deformed trees’ which had  been planted only a few years previously made way for a fernery,  bandstand, miniature lake and a fountain. During this opening cheers  were let out for the queen and also, as enthusiastically, for the  gardener. For 120 plus years people have been enjoying the  beauty of Machattie Park which is located behind the Bathurst Court  House and Council buildings. However it is said that on occasion during  the night an ear piercing scream can be heard. With no one around to  make such a racket it is believed that this scream is ghostly in origin. As for what manner of spectre could be causing the scream?   It does not take too long to delve in the online newspaper archives to  find out that before Machattie Park was established the site was used  for an altogether different purpose.

Gaol, Executions… A Horrid Death

Exectution in Bathurst Gaol - New Article
From the Bathurst Times.
In  1837 tenders were received at the colonial secretary’s office for the  construction of a courthouse and gaol at Bathurst. That same year a  watch house/lock up was declared as a public gaol. It is hard to find  out more information but one could surmise that the lockup was already  on site with the courthouse and gaol being built around it. We  do know that executions took place within the Bathurst Gaol as on June  11 1872 a ‘frightful scene’ took place in front of those present to  witness one such execution. John Conn was trialled and condemned to  death for the murder of Aveline Littler. John pleaded his innocence  saying the death occurred as Aveline fell out of a horse cart and under  the wheel. However a large two inch deep cut in her skull told there was  more to the story. On the morning of the execution John Conn  was composed and silently allowed the process to be carried out. John  was led up the steps to the gallows and even assisted the executioners  by tilting his head to better slip over the noose. however when the trap  doors lever was pulled…

Demolition of Bathurst Gaol in 1880.
Demolition of Bathurst Gaol in 1880.
(The following is not intended to be read by the young or squeemish)   ‘When the body passed through the drop the  spectators of course  expected to see it swing underneath when the extent of the rope was  reached, but what was their horror to see the trunk completely severed  from the head, fall into the pit below, while the head was left dangling  in the noose, a terrible and ghastly sight.  Death, of  course, was instantaneous. It is impossible to describe the sensation   which this shocking spectacle produced. Everyone present stood as if he  were rooted to the spot, and it was some time before most of the  onlookers could realise what had actually occurred. The blood  now ran in a narrow stream from the head suspended above, and  approaching the edge of the pit, the upper portion of the body was seen  to partially raise itself in convulsive shudderings two or three times  before it ceased to move, the blood pouring in streams from the neck.   The effect of the scene was sickening in the extreme, but as soon as  possible the head and trunk were put in a coffin and removed.   The cause of the terrible catastrophe was the want of any allowance on  the part of the executioners for the age and attenuated frame of the  convict. Far too great a fall was given, and though it might be merciful  as a rapid and painless mode of taking life, the result was certainly  most revolting.’ [Queanbeyan Age, Thursday 13 June 1872] In  1866 there was a motion in the NSW Parliament legislature assembly to  have the Bathurst Gaol closed and relocated elsewhere. The conditions  were seen to be hazardous and ‘injurious’ to the residents and  prisoners. However the motion was denied as it ‘would interfere with the  views of the Government with regard to prison discipline.’ Obviously  they did not have much of a care to the treatment of prisoners.   By searching through the various archives and newspapers of the time  you can find all manner of stories of woe and misfortune towards the  prisoners. Disease, inexplicable death and even death from depression  can be found. In 1888, twelve years after the first motion to  have the gaol relocated, Bathurst Gaol closed and was reopened in a new  location as the ‘New Gaol at Bathurst’. The old gaol was demolished to  make way for the ‘Jail Reserve’ in the hands of the trustees of the  Police Magistrates and others. It was they who fenced in the park and planted those ‘Deformed Trees’ before the Machattie Park was established.

Ashley Hall

Leave a Reply