This cemetery has both Catholic and Anglican interments. Bishop Pompallier gave the land for the Catholic portion in 1861. Bishop Selwyn gave the land for the Anglican portion about 20 years later. Both churchmen played a prominent part in establishing their respective faiths in early New Zealand.
In 1979 Birkenhead Borough Council began talking with the trustees of the old cemetery about taking over responsibility for its upkeep. The transfer of the Anglican portion occurred in 1981, and of the Catholic portion in 1987.