Ohingaiti Cemetery – Manawatu

Ohingaiti – Locality 55 km north-east of Bulls, the centre of Ngāti Hauiti until the mid-1800s. Dense bush and difficult terrain slowed construction of the main trunk line, which was 7 km away in 1892 but only reached Ōhingaiti when the Makōhine viaduct was completed in 1902. The settlement flourished until the 1960s. Since then the bank, post office and school have closed, but the hotel still operates.
Source: Te Ara – Encyclopedia of New Zealand

READ MORE:  Hobsonville Church & Cemetery

One comment

Leave a comment.