Hidden away deep in mangroves in a small bay in Hobsonville, is the rusted and forgotten body of a ship. It is all that remains of the 115 ft paddle steamer Tongariro, that worked Auckland’s Waitemata Harbour from 1878 to 1905. She was originally used for trading with Thames on the Coromandel Peninsula. Later she worked the Kaipara, as a passenger ferry for the Devonport Steam Ferry Company, as well as charter fishing trips. Not much remains today except a few pieces of rusted steel, slowly corroding away in the elements.