Devonport (O’Neill’s Point) Cemetery contains the official war graves of 41 men who served in the New Zealand forces and 1 man who served with the UK forces during the First World War and who died before 1 September 1921. The cemetery was opened in 1891 and is located in King Edward Avenue, Belmont, Auckland.… Continue reading O’Neill’s Point Cemetery – Bayswater, Auckland
Photos by Sam, Marlene, Barbara and Mark.
Northern Cemetery, Dunedin is located just a short distance from the Octogon and is situated beside the Botanic Gardens in Lovelock Ave. Since the cemetery opened in 1872, over 17,700 people have been buried there. The wealth generated during the goldrush years is evident within the cemetery with some very impressive tombstones on some of… Continue reading Northern Cemetery – Dunedin
During a visit to the States hubby and I were lucky enough to include a few days exploring Tombstone, Arizona. I had always had a fascination for “cowboys and Indians” and grew up watching classic cowboy shows (reruns of course!) such as Gunsmoke, Bonanza and The Lone Ranger, so a visit through the cactus riddled… Continue reading Boot Hill Cemetery – Arizona
The Shortland Historic Cemetery is located on Danby Street on a hillside at the far eastern end of the township with views overlooking the Firth of Thames.
An old cemetery plot with only two graves, hidden away in forest behind the main cemetery.
Whilst travelling through the Bay of Plenty during the Christmas holidays, Haunted Auckland team member Barbara came across this old beauty. A derelict church on Mill Road in Whakatane, which looks to be in the beginnings of some future reconstruction. The land is listed on some documents as the Pupuaruhe Church and Urupā (cemetery) and is… Continue reading Mill Road Church – Whakatane
It is traditionally recorded that one of the great fighting chiefs of the Ngati Kahupungapunga, Tokoroa by name, was slain by Ngâti Raukawa during the siege of Pohuturoa, a high rocky eminence 27km south of Tokoroa on the main Taupo highway. It is probable that some early surveyor applied the name Tokoroa as a tribute… Continue reading Tokoroa Cemetery – Tokoroa
Rangiriri is a small town on State Highway 1, 17 km north of Huntly in Waikato. Here, on 20 November 1863, British troops and Waikato Māori sustained more casualties than in any other engagement during the New Zealand Wars. ‘Bloody Rangiriri’ was the decisive battle of the Waikato War. Waikato Māori constructed the Rangiriri defensive… Continue reading Maori War & Early Settlers Cemetery – Rangiriri, Waikato
The largest cemetery in the Southern Hemisphere, Rookwood Cemetery (also called Rookwood Necropolis) is the final resting place for approximately over one million people. For more details on this amazing cemetery, check out our original post from our first visit.
The Birkenhead/Glenfield Cemetery is one of Auckland’s oldest cemeteries, with graves dating back to the 1880’s. Closed for several years, it has been the focus of many attempts by the local community to restore some of the older headstones which have succumbed to time or vandalism over the years.
HALCOMBE – Township on the Rangitikei Plans, 16km south east of Marton and 13km north west of Feilding. The land here was brought up in 1871 as part of the 40,500 ha ‘Manchester Block’ by the Hon Lieutenant Colonel William Fielding, chief representative of the special English Settlement scheme promoted by the Emigrants and Colonists… Continue reading Halcombe Cemetery, Manawatu
The Warkworth Anglican Church Cemetery, in the grounds of the Anglican Church of St Philip at Warkworth, contains monuments dating from 1854 to the present day. Within the cemetery is a stone monument “dedicated to the pioneering families of the region and past worshipper of [sic] Saint Philip’s Church.” This displays plaques naming about 100… Continue reading Warkworth Anglican Church Cemetery
Taipa-Mangonui is one name given to a string of small resort settlements in the far north of New Zealand’s North Auckland Peninsula, close to the base of the Aupouri Peninsula. The resorts of Taipa, Cable Bay, Coopers Beach, and Mangonui, all of which lie along the coast of Doubtless Bay, are so close together that… Continue reading Mangonui Public & Old Cemetery
History of St James Anglican Church As with any historic building, stories abound about St James. Just about every part of the building and its conception has its own story to tell. From the very beginnings of the church to the present time. From the foundations to the roof and the top of the bell… Continue reading St James Anglican Church & Cemetery – Mangere, Auckland
In the early 1850s, the Colonial Government in Auckland sent Alfred Domett, District Commissioner of Crown Lands, to oversee the survey and drawing up of a plan for the still-to-be-named port town. It was Domett who proposed the settlement be named Napier after Sir Charles Napier (1782-1853), who successfully led British forces against a large… Continue reading Old Napier Cemetery
Gordonton Cemetery is a small rural cemetery next to St Mary’s Church in Gordonton, Waikato.
Napier (Park Island) Cemetery contains the official war graves of 15 men who served in the New Zealand forces during the First World War and who died before 1 September 1921. Gates open at 8.00am and close at sunset. Toilets open 8.00am to sunset. Only existing family-owned plots are available for full-size earth plot burials.… Continue reading Park Island Cemetery – Napier
Maunu Cemetery and Crematorium is situated 6.5km west of Whangarei in Cemetery Road off State Highway 14 (the Whangarei to Dargaville highway). It is set in over 90 acres of rolling countryside, with beautiful bush clad valleys and pockets of remnant native trees. The cemetery is maintained to a high standard by our staff, who… Continue reading Maunu Cemetery
Haunted Auckland pays a visit to the Clevedon Cemetery, located adjacent to All Souls’ Church at 49 North Rd, Clevedon. All Souls Church is set on a slight rise in the village of Clevedon, and was built by Mr. A. Cochrane on two acres of land donated by Mr. J. Thorp, and dedicated by Bishop Selwyn on… Continue reading Clevedon Cemetery
Kioreroa Cemetery is situated on State Highway 1 south of Whangarei. History It is one of the earliest cemeteries in the Whangarei District. Opened in 1882 and closed in 1946, the cemetery is the last resting place of over 800 of Whangarei’s earliest residents. Initially the cemetery was well used but by the 1930’s it… Continue reading Kioreroa Cemetery
The Hillsborough Cemetery saw it’s first burial in 1916 and is still in use until this day. In April 2013 Haunted Auckland visited this picturesque resting place to document the local history on display.
We take a rail journey out to West Auckland to document this famously haunted landmark and one of the city’s last original railway buildings. History The station house is a local historical landmark that was restored in 2001. A cafe is in the old station building. When first opened, one of the station’s functions was… Continue reading Glen Eden Railway Station
Haunted Auckland visits one of the oldest cemeteries remaining in the Sydney Metropolitan Area.